This is a 15 days Trek and the route is a very popular passing through Jangothang and the base of Mount. Jumolhari. The Trek Route passes through some of the beautiful high passes and the Yak Herders’ camp. The Trekkers can see some of the most spectacular sceneries of the Higher Himalayas. You will also have the opportunity to see Blue sheep and other wild life in these areas.
Itinerary (15 Days)
Destinations: Paro (Arrival at Paro airport) | Area altitude: 2,280m
- Representative from Bhutan M<ystical Tours will welcome & receive you at the airport
- After lunch, visit Ta Dzong (built in1656 and renovated in 1968), an ancient watchtower
- The Rimpung Dzong (literally meaning "Heap of Jewels"), the centre of civil and religious authority in this valley, built in 1646 by Shabdrung Ngawang Namgyal.
Destinations: Paro Excursion to Taktsang Monastery | Area altitude: 2,320m | Time taken: 6hrs
- Hike towards Taktsang monastery.
- Scroll over the town in the evening.
Destinations: Paro - Shana (Start of Trek) | Area altitude: 2,850m | Travelling distance: 17kms | Time taken: 5-6hrs
- Drive to the ruins of the Drukgyal Dzong,
- On the way back, visit Kichu Lhakhang, built in 659 A.D,
- Visit Drugyal Dzong, built in 1647 by the Great Shabdrung Ngawang Namgyal,
- Experience an unforgettable view of Mt. Jhomolhari (7,314 m).
- Our trek to Shana starts at Drukgyal Dzong at 2580 meters following the Paro River
- Camp at Shana.
Destinations: Shana - Thangthangka | Area altitude: 3,610m | Travelling distance: 22kms | Time taken: 7-8hrs
- The trail follows the river through a heavily forested area with a few isolated farmhouses
- Pass a junction enroute, where another path leads north over the Tremo La to Tibet.
Camp in a meadow with a stone shelter.
Destinations: Thangthangka - Jangothang | Area altitude: 4,080m | Travelling distance: 19 kms | ascent: 480meters | Time: 5-6hrs
- After passing a small army post, the trail slowly leaves the forest line and gradually climbs into a beautiful valley, passing Tegethang, a winter home of yak herdsmen.
- We arrive at the Jhomolhari base camp (4,115 m).
Destination: Jangothang | Area altitude: 4,080m
- Rest day at Jangothang, enjoy the superb view all around.
- For Day hikes, you have 3 options on this day at Jangothang.
- Hike to Jumolhari Glacier which is around 4 ½ hours (Back and forth)
- Hike to Jichu Drake Glacier which is around 3 hours (Back and Forth)
- Walk up the mountain between Jumolhari and Jichu Drake, the summit is at 5,200 meters with a great view of both the mountains. This is 8 hours (Back and forth).
Destinations: Jangothang - Dhumzo (Soi Yaktsa) | Area altitude: 3800 m, via Bonte La pass 4900m
- The distance of 16 kms and will take around 7 - 8 hours to reach the Dhumzo Camp site.
- View mount Jhomolhari, Jitchu Drake and the valley to Jhomolhari camp site,
- Bonte La (4900m) and is also highest pass of this trek.
- Overnight at the camp.
Destinations: Dhumzo (Soi Yaktsa) - Thombushong | Area altitude: 4100 m via Tagalun Pass at 4550m
- Climb from the camp through rhododendron, birch, oak forest draped in moss brings you to a meadow with huge Juniper trees,
- View mount Jhomolhari for a short while.
- An hour after can see the campsite at Thombushong
- Overnight in camp.
Destinations: Thombushong - Zankepang | Area altitude: 2600m via Thombula pass 4,300m
- Climb to Thombula which takes about half an hour,
- Can see the several mountain peaks view from the pass, the closest one being Jo Drake (5980 Meters).
- The camp is another easy 1/1/2 hour from the army camp.
Destination: Zankepang - Drugyel Dzong | Area altitude: 2,300m | Travelling distance: 7kms
- Place where you see off your Trekking staffs and your horse men.
- Walk to the road end for 2 hours only. (End of Trek)
- Drive to Thimphu.
- After lunch, free to strollin the town for shopping and photography.
Destinations: Paro - Thimphu | Area altitude: 2,320m | Travelling distance: 55kms | Time taken: 1hr 15mins
- Visit to the National Memorial Chorten built in (1974)
- The Dupthop Lhakhang one of the few surviving nunneries in Bhutan.
- Visit the National Library,
- The Painting School where traditional art is still kept alive,
- Traditional Medicine Institute where medicines are prepared according to ancient practices,
- To Lungtenzampa to observe the Royal silver smiths
- Bhutanese paper factory at work.
- Other highlights include a visit to the Tashichho Dzong,
- Visit the Handicrafts Emporium followed by shopping for souvenirs in the shops of Thimphu.
Destination: Thimphu Sightseeing | Area altitude: 2320m
- Visit Folk Heritage Museum,
- Textile Museum, Changangkha Lhakhang and Philatelic office.
- Visit Silver smith at work,
- Handmade paper factory.
Destinations: Thimphu - Punakha | Area altitude: 1,310m | Travelling distance: 76kms | Time taken: 3hrs
- Drive to Punakha via Dochula pass.
- If the weather is clear, we stop for a while at Dochula pass to view Higher Himalayas.
- On the way, stop a while to view Chimi Lhakhang, "the Temple of Fertility". This was built by Lama Drukpa Kuenley in 15th century.
- Visit Punakha Dzong built in 1637 by Shabdrung Ngawang Namgyal and is situated between Pho Chu (Male River) and Mo Chu (Female River).
Destinations: Punakha - Thimphu | Area altitude: 2,200m | Travelling distance: 76kms | Time taken: 3hrs
- After breakfast, drive back to Thimphu.
- After Lunch free for shopping and photography in the town.
Destinations: Thimphu - Paro (Departure)
- Morning drive to Paro airport & Farewell .